Data and Calculations
- All numbers reflect data for our Arby’s®, Buffalo Wild Wings®, SONIC Drive-In®, and Jimmy John’s® restaurant systems, including in most cases both franchised and company-owned restaurants, from January 1, 2019 through fiscal year end. Franchised restaurants are independently owned and operated by franchisees, who make their own decisions concerning employment matters and the development and operation of their restaurants.
- Jobs figures reflect the approximate number of employees who work for the franchised and company-owned restaurants in our systems, as well as corporate employees who work for Inspire Brands’ Support Centers. For restaurant workers we estimated the total number of workers at each restaurant as 23 jobs per Arby’s restaurant, 60 jobs per Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, 25 jobs per SONIC Drive-In restaurant, and 28 jobs per Jimmy John’s restaurant. Workers at the franchised restaurants are employees of the applicable franchisee, not of Inspire or its affiliates, and franchisees determine the actual number of jobs at their franchised restaurants. Franchisees make all decisions concerning and have sole control over the hiring and firing of their employees and the terms and conditions of their employment. For our Support Center employees we estimated the number of Inspire employees, including all of Inspire’s “above-restaurant” field team members for each brand, as of fiscal year end 2019. Each employee is allocated to the state in which his or her “home base” support center is located. We are unable to estimate the number of “above-restaurant” workers that our franchisees employ, so these figures do not include any of these workers.
- New Restaurants Built figures reflect the number of new restaurants opened in 2019 in our systems. These new restaurants do not include restaurant rebuilds or relocations.
- New Jobs Created figures reflect the approximate number of jobs generated as a result of new restaurants built in our systems during 2019 using the estimates described in note 2. These new restaurants do not include restaurant rebuilds or relocations. For franchised restaurants, the franchisee determines the actual number of new jobs that each new restaurant generates. This figure also reflects the approximate number of jobs created in 2019 at our Support Centers.
- Economic Impact figures reflect the approximate funds invested in both remodeled restaurants and new restaurants by Inspire and franchisees, in approximate restaurant employee wages paid by Inspire and franchisees, and in actual Support Center employee wages paid by Inspire in 2019 for our systems. We estimated the cost of an average newly developed restaurant or restaurant remodeling/rebuild for each brand to calculate the approximate funds invested in each location. These estimates also include the sales and use, building & occupation, property, payroll, income, and franchise taxes paid for the most current reporting year by Inspire Brands for company-owned restaurants. We are unable to estimate these taxes for franchised restaurants. To calculate approximate restaurant employee wages paid, we estimate the wages paid per restaurant per year for each brand and multiplied that by the number of restaurants for each brand per state. For franchised restaurants, the franchisees determine the actual number of jobs and the actual wages paid to all employees. The wages paid by Inspire to Support Center employees reflect the actual wages paid during 2019. We are unable to estimate the wages paid to the “above-restaurant” level workers that our franchisees employ, so these figures do not include any of these wages.
- Funds Raised for Philanthropy reflects the funds that Inspire and franchisees contributed to each brand’s sponsored national philanthropic initiatives in 2019. It also reflects funds contributed by each brand’s suppliers and other corporate sponsors, with those funds attributed to the state in which the sponsor’s headquarters is located. Funds do not reflect in-kind contributions that restaurants give locally or the individual philanthropic efforts of franchisees that are separate from Inspire’s national initiatives. Note that SONIC Drive-In® funds reflect funds donated from corporate revenues.
- Some figures on this site are estimates. While we believe that our assumptions and methods of estimation are reasonable and accurate, estimates are inherently uncertain. The actual amounts spent, jobs created, or other figures on this site might be higher or lower than the estimates.
- This site is intended to provide information to the public about the positive impact that Inspire and our systems have in their communities across the United States. It is not intended for use or reliance by investors, prospective investors, franchisees or prospective franchisees.